BBQ JACKFRUIT TACOS WITH A PINEAPPLE SALSA -
Veganuary isn’t the impossible mission it seems!
Many people consider Veganuary each year and are often put off by the mere thought of all the challenges they might face. We often think that a diet change can be a huge upheaval of our lives, but in fact Veganuary is far from that. For the majority of households most of things you need to get through the month will already be in your cupboards.
For us as an eco friendly/sustainable family, swapping to a vegan lifestyle goes hand in hand. What you will find is that Veganuary is merely a mind set. One of the best ways to view the month is not an uphill battle, but a way to make your life healthier and happier whilst looking after the planet. Which I think is something we can all get behind especially after the
last year. But I have some top tips for you that I think will most take the pressure off:
1. You can never have enough tins of beans, pulses, chickpeas etc. So many Vegan meals can be made from these easy to find items; Bean Burgers, Houmous, Chickpea curry the list is endless.
2. You really don’t need all the fake meat replacements to enjoy vegan food, plant based meals are just as tasty if not more so.
3. Try and plan your meals while you are getting used to the changes, this way you will waste less and you wont feel so overwhelmed at making new things.
4. Don’t feel like you have lost the battle just because you made a few mistakes. Veganuary is not a race but a journey into a healthier life.
5. Just because your Vegan doesn’t mean you can’t have treats and the market is absolutely jam packed full of brands taking a vegan approach. So your favourite chocolate or ice cream might actually have a vegan version already there for you.
While I may not end Veganuary as a completely Plant Based household I most certainly each year make changes to a healthier and happier me. No Veganuary would be complete without Jackfruit so here one of my recipes to get you started on your Plant based Journey.
BBQ Jackfruit Tacos with a Pineapple Salsa
Ingredients for BBQ Jackfruit
1 tbsp vegetable oil ( plus extra for frying tortilla off cuts)
2 x 400g tins of young jackfruit (drained)
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
4 tbsp BBQ sauce
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 x corn tortillas
Ingredients for Pineapple Salsa
200g pineapple (fresh or tinned), chopped into small cubes
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 lime, zest and juiced
30g fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1. Heat the oil in a pan once hot add in the onion and cook on a low heat until soft, for around 10-12 minutes. Next add in the cinnamon, paprika and cumin seeds and cook for a further 2
2. Add the liquid smoke, vinegar and BBQ sauce and stir well then add in the passata, drained jackfruit and water. Bring to a simmer then cover and leave to cook with the lid on for 1 hr on a low heat, make sure to stir often to break up the jackfruit. If the mixture starts to become dry just add in extra water till your jackfruit is soft.
3. While the jackfruit is cooking make up the Pineapple Salsa. Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning to suit, this can be made ahead and stored in the fringe a day ahead.
4. Next cut your tortillas into 4 smaller circles using a 7.5 cm pastry cutter or you can use a pint glass ( I find this is a lot easier and usually easier to find in the house). You will have some bits left over so save these and cut into thin strips to fry.
5. Once your Jackfruit is cooked you can either make the tacos as a hot dish but I prefer to leave it to cool and serve as a cold dish. To prepare the tortilla off cuts add some oil in a saucepan about 5 cm deep, test to see if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small bit or bread or tortilla off cut. It is ready when this comes to the surface and is bubbling. Cook the off cuts in batches so as not to burn.
6. Finally assemble your taco (either hot or cold), by adding a small spoonful to the taco shape and top with pineapple salsa and crispy tortilla strips.